Camp Pahaquarra History
Camp Pahaquarra, active from 1925 to 1971, was the first council-wide camp owned by the George Washington Council. Originally, the 1000 acre camp was the site of many commercial copper mines. Copper ore was mined in the area at least as early as 1659, but by 1917 the mines were no longer profitable and most of the mines were closed by 1924. You can read about Pahaquarra in Compressed Air Magazine, March 1951, "The Mystery of Pahaquarry Copper" (sic).
The Delaware Water Gap has a long history in both geological and cultural development. Located in northwestern New Jersey, (map1) on the southern shore of the Delaware River, just downstream from Poxono Island (map 2), the area is now part of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. We offer a historical perspective of four authors and some personal thoughts. Several of the set of Pahaquarra pages were organized and edited by Larry Gering. Click here for a really big map. (opens in a new window)
The Old Mine Road