The Beginning, the Middle, the End
Summary by David Patterson
Under the direction of the Camp directors, council executive Dan Earl and district executive, Vince Hanft, the Camp flourished in the 1950's. The decade of the 1950's marked many significant changes/improvements to the Camp, some of which were motivated by the State of New Jersey to improve several health and safety features of the camp.
In a 1950 press release, Camp Director M. Henry Garrity announced that over 900 scouts would participate in the 1950 summer camp season and noted many "new" features including: enlarged areas for archery, rope yard, axe yard, pack animal handling, patrol cooking area, and a wilderness engineering center. Additionally the Camp had installed a new hot water heater, new dishwasher, electric refrigeration and new food serving systems. Did you note "pack animal handling", yes the Camp had a pack mule and it was used for hikes too as far North as High Point, New Jersey.
In 1951 the first floor of the original two story mining boarding house, was converted to the ranger's house.
The former mine office, which had been previously used as the Camp office, library, staff meeting room with upstairs sleeping quarters, became the infirmary. It was reported that the second floor was later removed after a fire.
In 1954 a new flag pole area was dedicated.
Around 1955 the trading post was constructed as an extension to a mine storage building. The original storage area became the Camp office connected to the trading post.
Additional property was purchased in 1956. In a press release of 1956 it was noted that the Camp did not originally own the property occupied by Cree Village and also did not own the road/path leading to Netop and Chicagomi villages. Permission to use these areas had been given by the Bayers (owners of the former Dimmick property) for many years. A major expansion of the Camp was anticipated with the additional property purchase.
Some scoutcraft activities were immediately moved onto the new property adjacent to the parade field including a new archery and personal fitness area. Some of the new property (Dimmick farm house, barn and garage) was used for winter storage and professional staff housing in the summer.
In the 1950's the Order of the Arrow started work on a lodge on Camp property, completed and dedicated in 1960.
In the late 1950's attendance in some weeks were over 350 scouts.
A popular recreational activity in 1956 was the Traver Memorial Rifle Range.
In 1958 a memorial rustic chapel was constructed below Chicagomi village on the new property. The chapel area was also used for closing campfires in addition to Sunday church services. The Camp ran on a Sunday to Sunday schedule.
In 1959 one week at Camp was $18
In 1968 a week at Camp cost $25
The Beginning | The Middle | The End | Exit