Camp Sakawawin History
This section tends to be a little difficult because of the many name changes. When New Brunswick Council was chartered, in 1916 it had no summer camp of its own. Council scouts used Camp Ka-Ge-Zhin-Ga, located in Frenchtown, NJ.
In 1929 New Brunswick Council moved summer camp to Cedar Lake in Blairstown, NJ. New Brunswick Council leased part of a privately owned area and called the new location Camp Sakawawin. Later in 1929, New Brunswick Council changed its name to Middlesex Council.
In 1948, the council moved the camp and the name to the Branchville location which was purchased by Middlesex Council on the south side of Strubble Road.. The names Camp Sakawawin and Sakawawin Scout Reservation were both used in the Branchville location. Strubble Road is the road in Branchville, NJ from Route 206 to the area to later become Kittatinny Mountain Scout Reservation (KMSR) .
After the merger of Raritan Council and Middlesex Council in 1969 to form Thomas A. Edison Council (TAEC), property on the north side of Strubble Road was purchased with the proceeds from the sale of Camp Cowaw on the Delaware River and was called Camp Cowaw until TAEC changed the camp name to Kittatinny Mountain Scout Reservation in the 1971 season.
The camp was called Camp Cowaw and Camp Sakawawin on the Middlesex Council patch. In 1969 the camp was renamed to Camp Johnson Woods, in 1970 the camp was renamed to Camp Thomas A. Edison, and in in 1971 the camp was renamed to KMSR. Can anyone explain why there were so many name changes?
Finally at the end of 2013, Central New Jersey Council was closed and camping was stopped at KMSR. At the current time( 2014) there is an effort to give the camp to government as part of Stokes Forest.
Major Change Events by Year
1919 Scouts attended Camp Ka-Ge-Zhin-Ga, Frenchtown, NJ
1929 Open Camp Sakawawn at Cedar Lake in Blairstown, NJ
1948 Move camp to Sakawawin Scout Reservation in Branchville, NJ
1969 Change name to Camp Johnson Woods
1969 (after Johnson and Johnson Corporation in New Brunswick)
1970 Change name to Thomas A. Edison Council Camp
1971 Change name to Kittatinny Mountain Scout Reservation
Information on this page was supplied by Randall Holden, an authority on New Jersey Scouts. Randall has supplied considerable information about Scouting to this website and his help is truly appreciated.
Camp Memories contributed by Marty Engel
Camp Memories contributed by Al Zusman
Camp Memories contributed by Al McGeehan
Camp Photos from a long, long time ago
Camping in Thomas A. Edison Council
Central New Jersey Council Home Page