In the early 1930s the council purchased the 1,200 acre Camp Pahaquarra in Warren County for 19,00.
The Trenton Council in 1937 was renamed the George Washington Council. Later the council area was enlarged to include Hunterdon County and most of Warren County . The council now serves Warren - with the exception of the Phillipsburg area - Hunterdon and Mercer Counties and also Montgomery, Plainsboro and Cranbury townships and Allentown.
Hugh Callahan, executive board member, remembers his first trip to Camp Pahaquarra in 1930: "At the time not too many families had cars. We assembled in front of scout headquarters which was located in a small room in the basement of the old Bell Telephone Building on East State Street near Montgomery Street. We were loaded on a Trenton bus and transported to camp. On the way, we stopped at Clinton, N.J., and spend 10 or 15 cents for a barbecue sandwich."
"The road leading to the camp was in such poor condition that the scouts had to get out of the bus so it could make it up a hill. From there the scouts crossed the river with the assistance of farmer Peter Dimmick, living on-half mile from the camp. Dimmick transported the scouts on his scow across the river."
"Camp fee was a dollar a day - seven dollars a week - sounds like a giveaway today but that was a hefty price at the time," Callahan added."
The George Washington Council, one of 416 councils in the Boy Scouts of America, is part of the Northeast Region, one of the six geographical divisions of the Boy Scouts of America.
(Within the council, there are four districts, each with its own chairman, commissioner, professional scouter and volunteer organization to assist both existing and new units. The Exploring District serves high school students in the Mercer County area.
The professional staff of the George Washington council is made up of six men trained and approved by the Boy Scouts of America. This comparatively small but college trained group of professionals is under the leadership of Scout Executive Robert F. Filipski. One of the unique characteristics of the B.S.A. is the happy and effective relationship that has developed and is maintained by professionals and volunteers. The ratio is significant. There is, on average only one professional for 400 volunteers. This is what characterizes the scouting movement as being primarily volunteer.
The professional basically provides a guidance while the volunteer provides leadership and renders service. Each has separate and distinct responsibilities, and yet, in order to be effective they complement each other.