Scouting in Pennington Area 1940s page 1
George Washington Council

Excerpted from the 1940 publication:
Pennington Presents her Present and Past 1940
Written by Eric W. Turner
From the collection of Jack Koppel
 
While the occasion for this book signalizes the golden anniversary of Pennington's attaining the status of a Borough, this short story may well memorialize the silver anniversary of the introduction of the Boy scout movement to the town, for in 1915, twenty-five years ago, the first troop was organized.
 
Mr. Earl Teel, the first Scout Master, relates that the troop met in the Presbyteerian Church, ad that during its life of four years, enjoyed numerous outdoor activities, including overnight hikes and camp at Roaring Rock and the Priceton Battlefield.
 
During the World War era the troop co-operated in the Liberty Loan drive and sold $2,800 worth of war bonds. It appears that this group functioned as an independent troop, was not affiliated with a district organization such as the present George Washington Council, and received its charter and current information directly from the National Council. Mr. Charles N. Titus was the Assistant Scout Master, and the troop roster included the names of Edwin Morrel, Hale Bucher, Paul Wagner, John Minschwaner, George Vannoy, Radcliffe Jones, Frank Chatten, William P. Howe, Jr., Orricn Warren, Gerald Phillips, Donald Hart, Edgar Stover, David Teel, "Scoop" Fields and Edwin Knowles, Jr., allof whom attained the rank of First Class Scout. This troop seems to have disbanded in 1918.
 
From 1918 to 1933 Pennington did not enjoy the influence of scouting which would emanate from an active local troop, although some local boys were members of troops in neighboring towns.
 
In 1933 Mr. Charles Cook assembled a committee to sponsor a new troop, and immediately thereafter the present troop was chartered as a unit in the George Washington Council. The initial enrollment included about twenty boys, which numbere was increased to thirty before the year ended. The Scout master was Mr. Raymond Hill, who served for six years without an assistant, after which interval Mr. Russell Scholl was appointed to that post. Mr. Hill has served the community and the movement as Scout Master since 1933 with the exception of the year 1939, when the duties were taken on by Mr. Arthur Stetser.
 
Again since 1933 the troop has had an average active membership of thirty boys, with a current enrollment of thirty-five.
 
In the years that followed four scouts attained the rank of Eagle Scout, the highest rank a scout can achieve. Eight boys have attaained the rank of Life Scout, and ten that of Star Scout. The rank of First Class Scout is a prerequisite before a scout is eligible to pass to the senior grades.
 
ask jos
This is the first of two pages from a publication celebrating the Fifty Anniversary of Pennington Borough. The material was given to me by Jack Koeppel of the Hopewell Valley Historical Society.

Time Line
Brief History 1958

Brief History 1940, page 1
Brief History 1940, page 2

Exit
May 1, 2004