Scouting in Pennington Area 1940s page 2
George Washington Council
Excerpted from the 1940 publication:
Pennington Presents her Present and Past 1940
Written by Eric W. Turner
From the collection of Jack Koppel
So much for statistics. Now what facilities are available to local scouts? Briefly, they are these: The troop meets on Thursday night of each week. On alternate weeks it meets in the Borough Hall, where the meeting is devoted to instruction in the various arts of scouting. On the other alternate weeks the meeting takes place in the high school gymnasium, at which time recreation is the order of the evening. These facilities are rented at standard rates established by the Board of Education and the Borough council. The George Washington council provides the facilities for senior scouting and maintains Camp Pahaquarra, which is a year-round rendezvous with Dame Nature herself.
A thumbnail description of these facilities follows: A unique and colorful organization is the troop of mounted scouts, which has its headquarters at the 112th Field Artillery Post at Eggert's Crossing. The mounts of this military outfit are made available to both girl and boy scouts. The members of both troops are taught the care of the animals, and attain enviable proficiency in the art of equitation under the tutelage of an army officer, who is also the Scout master. A rating of Star Scout is necessary for membership in this troop, and the number is limited. Pennington has been fortunate in having an average of three boys in this unit during the last five years, and the whole troop has taken part in at least two of our Memorial Day Parades.
No boys' organization is complete without a musical unit. This requirement is filled with the Sea Scout Band, under the leadership of the well-known Martin Mayer. Pennington has seen and heard this band at a number of local functions, and it can attest to the high order of its performance. Two Pennington scouts are members of this group.
This era of air-mindedness calls for some interest in aviation. Accordingly the Council maintains an Air Troop, which meets at the Mercer Airport and receives ground training under the supervision of a National Guard officer. Although there are now no Pennington Scouts in this troop, there have been several in the immediate past. Camp Pahaquarra is available to all scouts in the district, and Pennington has had an average of twelve boys in the summer camp. On numerous other occasions in all seasons of the year the camp has been utilized by the Pennington Troop.
At the National Jamboree, held in Washington, D. C., in 1937, Pennington was represented by Alfred Hill, who is now serving as Junior Assistant Scoutmaster.
ndividual attainment in scoutcraft is formally and publicly recognized through the medium of the Court of Honor. There have been since 1933 two such ceremonials, and a third will probably precede the present celebration.
The local committee which sponsors our troop is composed of the following: Messrs. Charles Cook, Frank Yates, Joseph A. Volk, Eric W. Turner, Al Britto, Raymond Palmer, Dr. Carl Shuster, Raymond Hill, Arthur Stetser, George Meredith, Hugh J. Gillingham, Hon. Wm. P. Howe, Jr., John M. Fenton.
Also, Mssrs. Charles Cook, Frank Yates, Al Britto and Raymond Palmer are members of the Executive Board of the George Washington Council, of which Mr. Cook is chairman of the Camp Pahaquarra Managing Committee, and Mr. Britto is Vice-Commodore of the Sea Scout activities.
In addition to the commitee, about forty townsmen have co-operated in making the biennial financial campaign a success.
This is the second of two pages, from a publication celebrating the Fifty Anniversary of Pennington Borough. The material was given to me by Jack Koeppel of the Hopewell Valley Historical Society.