Eglantine Avenue

Saint James Catholic Church
The Original Building

The Roman Catholics were the fourth religious congregation in Pennington, organizing in 1875. This, their first church, was built in 1899 in a simple Gothic Revival style; originally it was covered with wood shingles. The current wall covering hides a stained glass window above the front door. The interior is noteworthy for its wood ceiling and stained glass windows.
 
Eglantine Avenue was subdivided and developed by Colonel Kunkel beginning in the late 1890s. This wide street, with its deep setbacks and relatively large lots, has the appearance of a boulevard. Some unusual and interesting buildings representative of early 20th century suburban architectural styles are found here including English Cotswold Cottage, Renaissance Revival Foursquare and various forms of 20th century Colonial Revival.

Some St. James Church History
return to Walking Tour index
page created Febuary 2008

wSign.gif